Monday, January 14, 2013

Aunt Jemima in the Kitchen

I was blessed with two amazing additions to my kitchen...the first was from my sweet husband- a new 7 Qt Professional KitchenAid Mixer in a gorgeous red.

The second came from a dear family that the girls and I clean for- a Double Belgium Waffle Maker.
Both of these things are quite wonderful! You see, I have secretly longed for, wanted and wished for each of these things for well over a year.

 Each time I would go to a store that sold them, I would stop by the display, touch them, play with them and imagine how nice it would be to actually own them ONE DAY.

Now, before your mouth drops in appalling disgust at my ungodly dissatisfaction with the abundance that God had already provided, please note that it wasn't that I wasn't happy with what I had, I just thought that these would be nice to have, seeing that we do so much baking and with a large family, I had long maxed out my small mixer.

Plus, I don't find my true joy and happiness in "things" -my husband and I have had this discussion many times when he was trying to find out something that he could buy me. I live contented. I feel so blessed, that honestly, I cannot wish for more!

...BUT there are things that may make life a bit easier, convenient and would be very helpful.

Having said all of this, you can imagine that I was pretty excited to break out the beautiful red Professional KitchenAid Mixer ***did I mention that it's a beautiful red? ;) and the new Belgium Waffle Maker.


I searched for a wonderful recipe...one that I could put together the night before, seeing that I would have to start cooking pretty early if I wanted to give everyone a chance to eat piping hot, fresh waffles before heading out the door.


I decided to triple the recipe so that we would have enough to eat for breakfast as well as enough to freeze. My plan is to make fresh waffles every Tuesday, freeze some and then on more stressful mornings, be able to pop our homemade waffles in the oven or toaster without having store-bought frozen waffles or cereal.

                       So far, so good. I have a nice bag full of waffles for "grab and go" mornings. :)
Ready for the freezer, seperated by paper plates.

My only complaint is that the recipe tastes a little like a sour-dough version. (which is fine BUT my husband walked into the kitchen and asked if they were fermented!)

So, I think I'll search for another recipe for next week. :)


All in all, my first week of trying to get back on track after the Holidays and sickness has been wonderfully productive...which makes for a well-managed home and ONE HAPPY MAMA!

1 comment:

  1. LOVE the RED. That is my favorite color. My couch is red, love seat - red, decorations - red. I use a lot of Roosters and chickens - yep, red. :) It's beautiful!!!! We have an old Betty Crocker cookbook and it has a really good waffle recipe in it. Let me know if you want it.

    ReplyDelete